Girl seriously injured after stepping on hot grill buried in sand on beach

A seven-year-old girl was seriously injured after stepping on a hot grill buried in the sand on a beach. Simi Adenaike, 7, and her mother Alex Adenaike wanted to enjoy a day at the sea with their family.

They hadn’t been on the beach long when the incident happened, resulting in the boy suffering pain and possibly needing surgery. Simi’s mother Alex said the children were running around in the sand when she heard a “terrible scream”.

She explained: “We had just gotten to the beach and were looking forward to having some fun. The kids started playing almost immediately, running around in the sand. We heard a horrific scream and my daughter ran back.

Continue reading: The holiday couple’s fury after thieves at the hotel were ‘regularly attacked by known criminals’

“She was in so much pain that she couldn’t tell us what happened. Eventually we found that one of her feet was very red and blistered. We had help from some other visitors on the beach to cool the burn with water and we took her to the hospital immediately.”

The family found a disposable grill buried in the sand and were informed by witnesses that a group had been seen burying the foil tray before leaving, reports HullLive. Alex’s mum said: “This is so upsetting and my daughter now needs further treatment and possibly a skin graft.

“The council made an effort to install disposable grill containers and there was one not far from where the grill was buried.”

Cyril Anderson, Swansea’s Cabinet Member for Community, said: “This incident is appalling and we wish Simi and her family well while she is receiving medical treatment we have taken the trouble to put fifteen bins on all our beaches.

“Anyone who thinks it’s okay to bury grills or other debris in the sand in a day is simply irresponsible and thoughtless of the injuries they can inflict on beach users. We have invested thousands of pounds to install permanent BBQ waste bins along Swansea Bay Beach and also at Port Eynon, Horton, Caswell and Langland with more to come at Rotherslade.

“Grills and charcoal retain their heat for hours after use and can cause severe burns to people who accidentally step on them.”

The Council’s beach cleaning teams clean the beaches every morning and throughout the day during the summer. They are often supported by volunteers. Additional teams also target littering hotspots during the busiest times.

Read today’s top stories here

Continue reading:


Leave a Comment