Shared cost meat processing for ranchersMARTINSBURG – A free shared-cost meat processing webinar will be offered to ranchers on May 24 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Register for free to reserve a seat and attend the webinar at https://clemson.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_fdBQLnzKTo6gVkzj5dsNzw.
The webinar starts at 6:00 p.m., the presentation starts at 6:30 p.m
Webinar questions and comments directly to Stricha@clemson.edu.
Workshops on agricultural diversification are offeredMARTINSBURG – The WVU expansion in Berkeley and Jefferson counties features three farming workshops in rabbit production, poultry processing and small ruminant production.
These workshops are made possible by a grant from the USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) Pandemic Assistance for Producers Initiative, which makes it possible to provide supplies to the first 20 farms/families that apply to start or grow businesses.
The dates and topics are as follows:
• Rabbit Production 101 – May 24 at 6:00 pm and covers rabbit breed selection, care, husbandry and breeding at the Berkeley County Fairgrounds.
• Small Scale Poultry Processing – June 14 at 18:00 and includes poultry production, biosecurity and backyard processing at Red House Farm, Bunker Hill.
• Getting Started with Small Ruminants – 7 July at 6:00pm and covers Small Ruminant Nutrition, Breeding and Herd Health and takes place at Rawlings Farm, Summit Point.
To register, visit www.rebrand.ly/FarmWorkshops.
Note that they do not limit registration to 20, but farms/families exceeding this number are not eligible for deliveries. These workshops are free and will contact you prior to each appointment to confirm attendance and provide directions/parking information.
For more information, contact Jefferson County Extension Representative Emily Morrow at 304-728-7413, email Emily.Wells@mail.wvu.edu or Berkeley County Extension Representative Mary Beth Bennett at 304 -264-1936 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maryland Beef Producers Short Course Scheduled for JuneKEEDYSVILLE, Md. – The University of Maryland is offering a short course series for Maryland Beef Producers on “The Basics of Beef Production,” with the local program being offered June 3-4 at the Western Maryland Research and Education Center in Keedysville, Maryland . The cost is $75 (including all refreshments, lunch and study materials).
For more information about this two-day workshop, visit the website: https://ansc.umd.edu/extension/beef-extension/educational-courses#series-i.
To register online, go to: https://umdbeef-series1.eventbrite.com/.
Contact Racheal Slattery at email@example.com or by phone at 301-405-1392 if you have any questions, concerns, or would like to register by check/cash.
Accepting applications for the Master Gardener Training ProgramMARTINSBURG — Applications for the 2022 Fall Extension Master Gardener classes beginning August 15 are now open. Registration deadline is July 1st.
For more information on the Master Gardener Program, see: https://extension.wvu.edu/files/d/bdf70fa9-f174-4e76-b7e2-d00f8c0dd49b/berkeley-jefferson-emg-brochure-2019.pdf.
Important upcoming dates
• July 30-August 6, 2022 – 75th Berkeley County Youth Fair
• 13th-16th August 2022 – 80th Annual West Virginia Dairy Show
• 11th-20th August 2022 – West Virginia State Fair
• 21st-27th August 2022 – Jefferson County Fair
Tips for the garden
• Install row covers to keep insects out on cabbage and broccoli.
• Prune azaleas, snowballs, lilacs and forsythias after flowering
• Start controlling cucumber beetles.
• Plant tomatoes and eggplants.
• Convert compost.
• Plant jack-o-lantern pumpkins.
• Prune tomatoes when they first bloom.
• Create a herb garden.